The LIFE FOLIAGE (LIFE19 GIE/IT/000311) is funded by The Life Programme The LIFE programme is the EU’s funding instrument for the environment and climate action created in 1992.
LIFE FOLIAGE (LIFE19 GIE/IT/000311) is a LIFE project funded in 2020, and its goal is to improve forest governance. The specific objectives are:
- digitize regional administrative documents;
- monitor the surface of forests through remote sensing and satellite imagery;
- provide comprehensive information to citizens on forest management;
- provide key statistics to improve forest management.
The project will deal with each specific goals by developing a software(Digital System Forest, SDF) composed of:
- Forest Management Platform (FMP), targeted at PA’s, forestry professionals, enforcement agencies, and citizens;
- The Earth observation platform (EOP), specifically addressed to PA’s and designed to be complemetary instrument of the FMP;
- Information Exchange platform (IEP), to support with a mobile app the field surveys and the information exchange between citizens, NGOs, law enforcement and PA’s;
- Platform support governance (PSG), to provide aggregated forest statistics to Regions, MIPAAF, MATTM, ISTAT.
The use of the administrative platform of the forests will be regulated by legislative amendments enacted by the regions of Lazio and Umbria.
All technologies will be open source and therefore freely available to the public.
Forest owners are directly involved in the legislative amendments that will be promulgated by Lazio and Umbria regions: the forest owners will have the opportunity to communicate their questions through online form on FMP.
Forestry professionals are also affected by changes to forestry laws and regulations. Their applications will be developed fully online on FMP, with digitized forms and a webgis to draw up the mapping.
The members of the scientific community who are interested in forest management data and the related statistics can sign up to PSG to carry out scientific research and download raw data that have been appropriately anonymized.
NGO will be able to monitor the territory through the IEP reporting critical environmental issues found in the field and providing feedback on alerts identified remotely (eg. fires, illegal cutting) by satellite imagery.
Citizens will get information in local forestry management through mobile apps.
Provinces, municipality, national and regional natural parks departments are active users of the FEF providing go -ahead and authorizations and denials to forest requests.
Italian regions and state members are potentially interested in acquiring know-how to replicate the project results. The dissemination material will include a working demo of the project with a tutorial of adaptation to different laws and regulations and an analysis of the pros and cons experienced during the project.
MIPAAF is interested in statistical reports from PSG and to support their governance at national level, improving ecosystem services as defined in UE forestry strategy.